Ontario Rabbit Killer
There was no trial because Johnson accepted a plea bargain agreement agreed to by his defense attorney and someone high up in the District Attorney’s office. The agreement was that Johnson would plead “no contest” to Count 1, and Counts 2, 3, 4, and 5 would be dismissed. Many citizens of San Bernardino County were very unhappy with this development, and sent letters to the Court expressing their concern. On February 9, 2012, Johnson was supposed to have been sentenced, however Judge Michael Sachs would not accept the plea agreement as it was. We appreciate Judge Sachs' respect for animal life! He recognized the warning signs of a serious animal abuser. Interestingly, the sentence date was then rescheduled to February 27, 2012.
Shea Johnson was sentenced on February 27, 2012 by Judge Stephan Saleson. Unfortunately, Judge Saleson chose not to challenge the plea agreement.
Shea Johnson has received tremendous breaks in this case. He will be on supervised probation for three years. He has only been convicted of cruelty to 1 rabbit - a felony. He was not ordered to spend any time in jail. He is free. And as long as he is free to do as he pleases, our community is a little less safe. If you watch the YouTube video, you will witness the senseless violence. Only time will tell if he continues to harm small animals, or if he moves on to hurting people.
Update: January 10, 2012
A Pre-Preliminary Hearing was held on December 8, 2011, where Shea Johnson - as part of a plea bargain - withdrew his plea of Not Guilty and changed it to No Contest as to Count 1. Unfortunately, as part of this plea bargain, the 4 remaining Counts will be dismissed at the time of sentencing.
Regarding rabbit torturer and killer, SHEA JOHNSON
• Age 22, born in May 1989;
• Court records indicate he is 6 feet, 3 inches tall, and weighs 280 lbs.;
• The violations took place for over a month up until May 25, 2011;
• He was arrested on May 26, 2011;
• He has had previous vehicle code violations, this is his first arrest for animal cruelty;
• An FBI number has been assigned to him;
• San Bernardino County Deputy District Attorney Debbie Ploghaus filed her Complaint on June 6, 2011;
• Charge: 5 felony counts of Penal Code 597(a) animal cruelty;
• The Court Case No. is FWV 1101830;
• At his arraignment hearing, despite Ms. Ploghaus’s persuasive request to the Judge, no bail was ordered by the Court. He was released on his own recognizance, and is not in jail.
• Sentencing took place February 27, 2012
Update: March 11, 2012
Shea Johnson was charged with 5 counts of felony animal cruelty by the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s office for harming and killing rabbits while on the job. His employer was Fox Rent A Car, Ontario, California airport location. Domesticated rabbits were most likely abandoned on and near the property that is adjacent to the Fox Rent A Car location. Since that time, they have been allowed to breed. They are tame (not wild), and Johnson was able to easily capture them. It is estimated that he tortured and killed between 20 to 30 rabbits. A brave co-worker secretly videotaped Johnson punching and throwing the rabbits with his big fat fist at a cement wall. Johnson methodically did this over and over again. The co-worker provided the video to law enforcement. We thank him or her for doing the right thing. We need more people in this world who are willing to expose a horrible wrong when they see it.
[Video shown below. Please note: You must be 18 years of age or older to watch this video.
If you elect to watch it, you are confirming that you are at least 18 years old]